Home

       About

       Gallery

       Mek Shop •

       Tutorials

       Battle Reports

       Tactics

       Commissions

       Online Store

       Bits 'n Pieces

       Contact Me

       Links

       

       

     

Foregworld Mega-Dread - project finished on 11/3/2010

 

A buddy of mine got me a Forgeworld Mega-Dread for my birthday last year. Much to my eternal shame, it's been languishing in my 'to do' section since then. Well, no longer! I joined the Tale of 40k Painters thread again this year to get some Ork stuff done, and this bad boy is on the list..
 

 
Assembly

This is how every Forgeworld model starts out, a pile of resin in need of a bath.

After a soak in Simple Green, a scrub with a toothbrush, and a final rinse of water, the mold release is all cleaned off.

This is an important step with resin products. If you don't do it, you can sometimes run into problems. Primer doesn't stick well to the mold release agent used in the casting process. I always wash my resin stuff thorughly, 'cuz it really sucks to have a hard-earned paint job flake off.

Starting from the ground up.

Here's the leg assembly...

...and now the pilot's compartment, engine and armored shoulder plates.

... and finally with the Killkannon and Rippa Klaw arms in place.

This is one cool model, I highly recommend it to any Ork fanatic out there.

I've always had an issue with Walkers and other models that don't have bases. For vehicles, such as Tanks, that don't hit back in close combat it isn't much of an issue, but I think anything that can punch you in the face should have a base. It just makes things easier from a rules standpoint.

Hence why I cut a piece of MDF board about the size of a CD and built a base out of it.

Why the blank spots you ask?

... Because I decided to magnetize this guy's feet so he can either be displayed with the base or without. It will also make it easier to transport.

The magnets are recessed in the feet and in the base. I covered the magnets in the base with a thin layer of cardstock so they'll stay put and then textured the base with gravel and bitz.

 
Painting

Here you can see the Mega Dread in the beginning stages of painting. After priming the model Black, I gave it a good drybrush of Boltgun Metal.

You can see where I'm starting to block in the solid colors, like the red on the teeth. I also couldn't resist doing the checker pattern across the vision slit.

He's definitely a work in progress at this point.

 
Completed Model

Here he is all painted up and ready to go. I weathered the armor with Boltgun Metal and a few patches of Mithril Silver.

After the weathering was finished, I used washes of Badab Black and Devlan Mud to tone down the brightness of the red and to give the metal a dingy look.

I used a final wash of thinned Bestial Brown to add some mud/dirt, concentrating mostly on the legs and feet.

After the weathering ans washes were complete, I added some oily streaks to certain area with the old GW 'Flesh Wash'. The new washes are cool, but I do miss some of the older ink-based washes that they used to produce.

And here he is from the back.

With the dullcoat applied, this guy is ready for the tabletop.